Full Time (40h/w) – Limited for 5 years (permanent contract possible after tenure-like evaluation)
> EUR 70,000* gross/year
IST Austria is growing. Grow with us!
IST Austria is a growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, and the life and physical sciences. We recruit passionate professionals from all over the world and from all fields who support our goals of excellence in research and science management. Located on a beautiful campus on the outskirts of Vienna, we offer numerous opportunities for personal growth in a stable working environment. Get an insight!
Staff Scientists at IST Austria pursue research projects together with professors, serving as collaborators with expertise normally not present within research groups. We are looking for a Staff Scientist with experience in crystallography.
The staff scientist will be associated with the Nanofabrication facility, which provides technical support for research groups on campus. The staff scientist with experience in inorganic crystallography should have an active interest in the analysis and correlation of structural material properties with functional properties.
• Determine the crystal structure of new crystalline compounds or known compounds in forms where the crystal structure differs from bulk structures due to, e.g., strain, anisotropy, stacking faults, etc. Samples may either be powder, single crystals, or the phase evolution of crystallites during, e.g., electrochemical or thermal processes (intercalation, growth, alloying, segregation, etc).
• Analyze the atomic arrangement of solids to correlate material properties by using data from X-ray, electron or neutron diffraction, together with other analytical techniques and computer modeling.
• PhD in physics, chemistry or material science. Post-graduate experience in a demanding and high-level research environment
• Deep understanding of crystal structures
• Expertise in crystal structure determination, orientation/texture, and refinement
• Expertise in 3D atomic modeling and in electron backscattering diffraction data analysis
• Expertise small angle x-ray scattering and in synchrotron facilities
• Prior knowledge or willingness to learn SEM-FIB
• Excellent command of English
• Service-oriented attitude
• Team player with outstanding communication skills
Please submit your application online at https://apply.app.ist.ac.at
* This position comes with possible overpayment depending on education, qualification and work experience. IST Austria processes your personal data in accordance with the law. For more information, please refer to https://ist.ac.at/data-protection/.