Full job title:
Post Doctoral Research Fellow Level 1 (PD1) on the topic of Farm Level Energy Sustainability - FLEET Project (Temporary) (Ref: 176)
Basic Function of the Role:
Currently the cost of on-farm Anaerobic Digestion (AD) technology in the Irish context is considered prohibitive for the typical Irish farm size (32.4 ha).
This means for most projects, animal manures and crops would have to be transported from farms to a central regional AD unit.
This would add to the cost of energy production from this system.
Using Teagasc, National Farm Survey (NFS) data, economic and environmental models, will be used to examine alternative scenarios for farm scale feedstock solutions for supply to regional Anaerobic Digestion (AD) facilities.
Economic models will be used to examine the costs and benefits of alternative feedstock supply to regional AD plants.
Environmental models will be used to examine the environmental sustainability of alternative farm scale feedstock solutions which will be supplied to the regional AD plants.
The aforementioned, farm scale economic and environmental models will be aggregated and used to evaluate potential national economic and environmental trade-offs of alternative feed stock solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities specific to this project:
- Review existing literature on AD economic and environmental sustainability at farm and national level.
- Develop farm models to examine the economic and environmental sustainability of alternative farm based feed stock solutions for regional AD plants.
- Analyse sustainability parameters using appropriate farm level models.
- PhD in agriculture, environmental science, agricultural or environmental economics or another appropriate science or economics related discipline.
- Relevant research experience not to exceed 3 years’ post-PhD.
- Good knowledge of Irish agricultural systems.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, and view other vacancies in Teagasc, please visit www.teagasc.ie/careers.
The closing date for this position is Friday 18th September 2020 @12pm.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer.
As part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants.
Canvassing will disqualify.