Job Title: Crop Scientist (Permanent) - (Ref: 152)
The successful candidate will contribute to and lead crop agronomy / physiology research that underpins Teagasc research priorities to improve production efficiency and develop higher value markets for Ireland’s tillage farmers. While initially focussed on supporting the continued development of the growing oats sector, the post will also include work on other crops.
• Develop, formulate and execute an agronomy/crop physiology research programme focused on supporting the expansion of the cereals sector.
• Establish and maintain state-of-the-art capacity in crop agronomy/physiology research, whilst building productive collaborations with other relevant organisations (i.e. public/academic/industry) to ensure the required capacity is achieved in the most efficient manner.
• Design, manage and deliver research project(s) in the area of oats agronomy/physiology; performing requisite post-hoc analysis of collated data, interpreting and publishing results in high ranking international journals as well as technical and popular press.
• Secure external (commercial, public (e.g. SFI, EI, DAFM), non-exchequer (Horizon2020, Marie Curie, ERC etc…) funding with the objective of creating critical mass by building and supervising a dynamic team of post-doctoral researchers and post-graduate students and providing scientific direction for the project team.
• Candidates must have a QQI Honours Level 8 degree in Agriculture or a related discipline.
• PhD in crop agronomy/physiology.
• Full driver’s license is required for this post.
Note: While a PhD is an essential requirement for this post, equivalent research experience may be deemed acceptable solely at the discretion of the Director of Teagasc
• Post doctoral experience in cereal agronomy/physiology/breeding would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, and view other vacancies in Teagasc, please visit www.teagasc.ie/careers.
The closing date for this position is Friday 10th July, 2020 @12.00noon.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer.
As part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants.
Canvassing will disqualify.