The Technologist will work with a team of scientists under the guidance of the Project Leader on the Culture to Product Platform of the APC. The candidate will be experienced in microbiology and will have an appreciation for the valuable asset that the APC Culture Collection is. The Technologist will be responsible for the generation of accurate data regarding the safety and quality of strains, the provision of unambiguous traceability for IP protection and accountability, the isolation of novels bacterial strains of interest and for the curation of the APC Culture Collection.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Curation of the APC Culture Collection and of bacterial cultures that emanate from the APC Microbiome Ireland research programmes.
• Isolation and characterisation of novel probiotic bacteria for health applications.
• Cataloguing strains in the APC Culture Collection with particular regard to safeguarding IP associated with the strains.
• Interpreting research findings and preparing scientific and popular press publications.
• Participating in APC Microbiome Ireland Education and Outreach activities.
• Candidates must have an honours Level 8 degree in Microbiology or a related discipline.
• A postgraduate degree and/or research experience in microbiology, molecular biology or fermentation technology would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at https://www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Friday 19th October 2018. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.