The positions can be taken up in the rank of assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor, full professor or senior full professor. They take effect on 1 October 2019.
Taking up this position implies the privilege of focusing almost exclusively on research activities for a period of 5 years, with a teaching load limited to no more than 8 credits per semester, on average over a period of 3 years. This appointment can be renewed to a maximum of 10 years. Afterwards, the amount of time devoted to teaching, research and academic services can be modified by the university, in consultation with the appointed professor.
As a start-up package, each of these staff members will receive a research grant of €200.000 to contribute to the establishment of a research team.
- You do not yet hold a full-time professorial post at Ghent University
- You are a thesis-based doctorate holder
- You have been awarded the first PhD at least 4 and up to 12 years prior to 1 October 2019 (date on the PhD diploma)
- If you are selected to take up a position, it will be expected that you apply at least once during your mandate as professor with a primary focus on research, for an ERC Starting, Consolidator, Synergy or Advanced Grant
- This call is highly competitive. Applicants are encouraged to evaluate their track-record and leadership potential against the benchmarks mentioned below, in order to decide for themselves their likelihood for success. As such they can avoid investing effort in proposals that are unlikely to succeed. This call aims at candidates who have the potential to obtain an ERC Grant
- You have already conducted excellent scientific research in a field of study, reflected by, among other things, a strong record of international publications (journals and/or books) with peer review and an obvious international profile
- You have extensive experience in supervising research and coaching Ph.D. students
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences
- Recommended are:
° Positively evaluated experience in provided or organized academic lecturing
° International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree
° Professionalisation of education
Please consult the Ghent University website for the full job ad and information on how to apply, appointment on the long term, selection procedure, gender and diversity, and what Ghent University offers to new professorial staff: www.ugent.be/en/work (click on Professorial staff)
The application deadline is 1 October 2018.