Process Engineer – Prepared Foods (Ref: RO/PE/AT/0718)
Teagasc seeks to appoint a Research Officer to develop, lead and implement an internationally recognised research programme in the area of food process engineering and its application for prepared consumer foods. The successful candidate will have responsibility for building a team of postdoctoral researchers and post-graduate students within the food programme, focused on food process engineering principles. Scientific disciplines relevant to the role include food chemistry, rheology, processing, material science and other sciences related to nutrient interaction in prepared foods. The role will include building strong linkages with Industry through generation of strategic partnerships in the area of prepared foods. Candidates should have an understanding of the engineering principles behind the preparation, thermal and dehydration processes used for manufacture of prepared foods (primarily focused on meat and cereal applications) and good understanding of industrial scale food processes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leading and managing research projects in the area of process engineering with particular reference to processing of prepared / consumer foods.
• Building strong collaborations with industry in the prepared consumer food sector.
• Management of staff and resources assigned to the programme.
• Contributing to and actively engaging in strategic planning within the food programme.
• Identification and development of emerging process-related technologies suitable for processing of prepared foods (primarily meat and cereals) and end use applications particularly having regard to the achievement of nutrient stability and sustainable processes.
• Operation of pilot plant equipment including mixing, thermal and dehydration unit operations.
• Understanding of formulation science and the impact of heat and dehydration (drying) on the physical and functional attributes and stability of prepared foods.
• Candidates must have an honours Level 8 degree in (Chemical & process /mechanical engineering, food science) or a related discipline.
• A PhD degree in a relevant discipline.
Note: While a PhD is an essential Requirement for this post, equivalent research experience may be deemed acceptable solely at the discretion of the Director of Teagasc.
• A postgraduate degree and/or research experience in food science/engineering would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Tuesday 14th August 2018. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.