Teagasc Post-Doctoral Research Fellow Level 1 (PD1) - Crops, Environment and Land Use Programme - PD1/WATER/JC/0718
Basic Function of the post:
To conduct a socio-economic and environmental assessment of agri-environmental beneficial management practices to mitigate nitrate and pesticide loss to water in agricultural catchments. This will involve developing a methodology to conduct a socio-economic and environmental impact assessment of BMPs within the Irish Action Lab catchments within the WaterProtect project and evaluate the social, economic and environmental outcomes of selected BMPs.
The results of the present study should:
• Assess uptake and willingness to adopt BMP;
• Demonstrate BMP effectiveness to funding agencies;
• Promote the BMPs to farmers; and
• Effectively allocate future funding.
The position will also involve report writing, attendance at project meetings and dissemination and interaction with multi stakeholder groups in Ireland and across the European consortium.
Duties & Responsibilities specific to this project:
• Collate and harmonise regional information on farming population and nitrate/pesticide usage.
• Review existing literature on farmers’ willingness to adopt environmental policies and their implementation.
• Design and analyse a representative survey to investigate farmers’ likelihood to implement selected measures, using statistical and econometric methods (choice experiment).
• Assist with the design, conduction and analysis of focus groups.
• Assist WaterProtect Actionlab Ireland in meeting the commitments of the funders (European Union H2020).
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
• Interpret research findings and prepare scientific and popular press publications.
• Disseminate research findings to a variety of audiences as appropriate.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and action plan.
• Comply with all relevant Teagasc policies and procedures.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Actively participate in the Teagasc Post Doctoral Fellowship programme and review processes, and to undertake all Post Doctoral fellowship training and associated duties as agreed in the Training & Development Plan.
• Take up additional duties as they may arise and be assigned by management.
• PhD in in environmental agricultural economics/ behavioural economics/ (or equivalent).
• Relevant research experience not to exceed 3 years’ post-PhD.
• Experience in cost-benefit analysis.
• Knowledge of Irish and EU agri-environmental regulations, particularly those related to water quality.
Further Information for Candidates
Candidates can access a Fellowship Programme Application form for this post on the Teagasc website at https://www.teagasc.ie/about/opportunities/post-doctoral-opportunities/.
Teagasc do not accept Curriculum Vitae’s as an application for a position. In order to apply for a post the relevant application form must be completed in order to be considered.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 noon on Wednesday 8th August 2018.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.