Contract Technician (MultiRepro) (Ref: CT/MR/MP/0418) (Externally Funded Non Grant-in-Aid)
Teagasc is seeking to recruit a motivated and skilled contract technician to work on an externally funded project, which aims to evaluate the nutritional and management strategies for improved reproductive performance in cattle and sheep. The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary team and will be responsible for the collection of field experimental data from commercial dairy and beef herds. The successful candidate will be responsible for collection of data required for the project from beef heifers and dairy cows on commercial dairy farms. The measurements include body weight, ultrasound exams of the ovaries and vaginal discharge scores.
Candidates will have at least a level 6 degree in Agriculture, Biology, Science or a related discipline and will ideally have experience of general animal husbandry and field experiment techniques, with an ability to take responsibility, have excellent record keeping abilities and good ICT skills. Training will be provided in transrectal ultrasonography and vaginal discharge scoring, however successful development of these skills will require enthusiasm and commitment from the candidate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform measurements of body weight, ultrasound exams of the ovaries and vaginal discharge scores on commercial dairy and beef herds.
• Liaise with other members of the team and organise farm visits for data collection.
• Collate all measurements into electronic files.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Candidates must have a Level 6 Specific Purpose in Farm Administration and/or a Level 6 Advanced Cert in Agriculture or a related discipline.
• A Level 7 qualification in Agriculture or a related discipline would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on Wednesday 25th April 2018.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence. Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.