Teagasc Contract Technician - (Ref. CT/IDEA/AT/0418)
The project specifically involves fractionation of algae biomass for the development of food and cosmetic ingredients. The successful candidate will contribute to fractionating biomass generated from IDEA project partners into useful algal fractions and compounds and to tailor these towards end-users. The successful candidate will be involved in the development of mild extraction technologies and knowledge of enzyme extractions would be advantageous. In addition, the successful candidate will help Teagasc and the European project partners to evaluate the biomass (fractions) for their suitability in food applications. Special attention will be given to the protein fraction. The successful candidate will also assist Teagasc in development and training activities associated with the project and drafting of a roadmap for algal culture and use in Ireland and North West Europe that will include a review of relevant legislation. In addition, the person hired for this position will be expected to contribute towards presentations and publications and other outputs from the project. A strong knowledge of natural products chemistry and bio-refining processes is desirable.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Downstream processing of algae supplied by European partners. Tasks will involve extraction, enrichment, purification and characterisation using HPLC, mass spectrometry and NMR.
• Correct labeling and tracking of samples and extracts using the system devised by the IDEA partners.
• Involvement in product formulation – specifically food formulations (bread, dairy carriers).
• Contribution towards popular and scientific publications and presentations.
• Contribution towards report writing and drafting of white papers.
• Work within the health and safety rules at Teagasc.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
* This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be reviewed from time to time with the post holder.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later 30th April 2018.
Please note: An early start date following offer would be highly desirable.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.