SFI New Post-Doctoral Researcher – Next Generation Sequencing Platform (Ref: PDR/APCB2/1117)(Externally Funded Non Grant-in-Aid)
This position will be filled by a post-doctoral researcher (PhD in genetics, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related discipline) with experience in working with DNA/RNA. Ideally, the candidate will previously have carried out research utilising Illumina, ION or Oxford Nanopore sequencing platforms and thus be familiar with various aspects of sample preparation, development of new protocols, method optimisation and comparison of platforms, especially as it relates to microbiology-based analyses. Experience in bioinformatic analysis of Next Generation Sequencing data is also desirable.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work closely with the DNA sequencing platform technologist and technician, APC researchers and PIs and Partner Institutions.
• Advise APC researchers, Partner Institutes and customers regarding which sequencing technology would best meet their needs.
• Manage and contribute to the quality control of DNA/RNA samples received.
• Manage and contribute to the preparation of DNA/RNA samples for high throughput sequencing.
• Troubleshoot to optimise existing protocols/develop new protocols and engage with representatives of DNA sequencing platform manufacturers and providers of related reagents and equipment.
• Operate a number of different high throughput DNA sequencing instruments.
• Represent Teagasc at meetings focusing on high throughput sequencing technologies.
• Participate in APC Education and Outreach activities.
• A PhD degree in genetics, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related discipline.
• Experienced in analysing metagenomic and transcriptomic large data sets.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at https://www.teagasc.ie/about/opportunities/post-doctoral-opportunities/.
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on 23rd November 2017.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.