The appointee will be the main researcher on the COMBINE project, an SFI funded project which is collaboration between Teagasc, UCC and CUMH. The successful candidate will work on studies to identify the developing gut microbiota in infants, from delivery onwards, in a mother-child cohort of 1200 infants throughout the first two years of life. This study will reveal how infant nutrition programmes the gut microbiota and how these combined factors impact on child health during the growing years. COMBINE will also study the impact of new ingredients on cognitive ability at two years.
The ideal candidate would be experienced in microbiology, bioinformatics, biochemistry or nutritional science. The successful candidate will have considerable experience with respect to diet, gut microbiota, bifidobacteria and molecular biology and have a proven record of publications.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• To perform analysis of gut microbiota in infants to 2 years
• To characterise the bioactives responsible for mediating changes in microbiota composition
• To perform metabolite analysis of samples: quantification of short-chain fatty acids, ammonia and hydrogen sulphide content.
• To perform studies to assess effects of selected ingredients on gut and immune function
• To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• To actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Candidates must have a Level 8 degree in microbiology, bioinformatics, genetics, biochemistry, nutrition or a related discipline.
• A postgraduate degree and/or research experience in clinical trials would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on Friday 5th of May 2017.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.