To develop, lead and implement a pasture grazing research programme with emphasis on some or all of the following:
• Pasture production and utilisation under grazing
• Animal intake and performance under grazing
• Sustainable grazing management systems
• Grassland feed planning and budgeting
The research programme will seek to understand how underlying principles of grass physiology and sward dynamics affect the measured outcomes.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop, lead and implement a grazing research programme to improve the sustainability of the Irish grass-based ruminant production systems.
• Design and manage grassland (grass/clover) experiments, perform statistical analysis of experimental data and publish the resulting data.
• Manage staff and resources assigned to the research programme
• Identify opportunities for cutting-edge research to address key knowledge gaps in grazing research.
• Attract external funding with the objective of developing critical mass in the area, by building a dynamic team of post-doctoral researchers(s) and post-graduate student(s).
• Develop and maintain active collaboration with the relevant national and international research communities.
• Supervise, in conjunction with University partners, postgraduate students to Masters and PhD level
• Interpret and publish research results in the scientific and popular press, at conferences (nationally and internationally) and to stakeholders
• Candidates must have an Honours Level 8 degree in Agriculture or a related discipline.
• PhD in a relevant discipline
• Note: While a PhD is an essential requirement for this post, equivalent research experience may be deemed acceptable solely at the discretion of the Director of Teagasc
• Post-doctoral experience in grazing research would be a distinct advantage.
• A proven record of scientific, per reviewed publications.
• Been successful in gaining competitive scientific funding.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed Application Forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 midnight on 8th of May 2017.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.