Under the guidance of the project leader, the appointee will be responsible for creating a range of concentrated natural flavours through fermentation to meet current and future legislative requirements and market demands. Using lactic acid bacteria and/or yeast cultures, acquired from culture collections or isolated during the project, the appointee will develop separate fermentation processes using natural substrates to produce the desired end-products. The project will utilize the capability and expertise in microbiology and flavour chemistry available at Teagasc to fulfill the project objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• To plan, set up and undertake the scientific tasks as outlined in the project plan.
• To write scientific reports and prepare presentations for the project team as required.
• To manage the day-to-day running of the project, e.g. ordering and purchasing consumables, cleaning and maintaining equipment, administrative tasks.
• To assist the project leader and team in managing the overall project.
• To attend and present at project meetings as required.
• To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• To actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Candidates must have a Level 8 degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or a related discipline.
• A postgraduate degree and/or research experience in Microbiology or Biochemistry would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 midnight on Friday 28th April 2017.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.