The ‘Obesibiotics’ postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for further characterization of a microbial ‘tool-box’ of bacteriocin-producing gut microorganisms and for the subsequent characterization of the associated strains and antimicrobials. The RO will also engage in in vivo studies to assess the efficacy of these bacteriocin producers in a ‘gut’ environment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Characterization of bacteriocins and bacteriocin producing strains.
• To develop and utilize a variety of models to assess the impact of bacteriocins on specific populations of gut microbes.
• Carry out murine studies.
• To prepare reports.
• To publish data in scientific papers.
• To assist in monitoring the Obesibiotics budget.
• To present Obesibiotics data at national and international conferences.
• To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• To actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Candidates must have a PhD in Microbiology or a related discipline.
• Excellent laboratory skills, organization skills, report writing and data analysis.
• Research experience in Microbiology would be a distinct advantage.
• Proven record of scientific communications.
• Aptitude for multidisciplinary approaches.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on 28th March 2017.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.